
Today is a great blogging day...sick in bed.
On my day off yesterday, my friend (Kel) and I rented a tandem bike from BYU and headed up the canyon. Riding a tandem bike is always an adventure…ALWAYS.
I wanted to try riding in the back (I just learned this position is called the "stoker"). I usually take the lead (aka “captain”) because you have steering control. I have tried the back several times, but usually have a "freak-out" moment because I have no control--I want to move the handle bars left and right, but can’t. So we start out on Campus Drive--where the whole world is--where the sidewalks are crowded. Bad idea. Terrible place to attempt the stoker position. Let’s just say I’m sure I made someone’s day…or many. I put my feet up on the pedals. We wobbled forward a few inches and I immediately put my feet down and kept stepping trying to gain balance while Kel was continuing to pedal. I was screaming, she was screaming...basically creating a huge scene and I'm sure some comic relief. Both laughing hysterically (Kel saying that I had better stop or she was going to wet her pants…she’s going to kill me), I had to move to captain's position. But I am proud to say that once we got through the crowded sidewalks, and onto the Provo trail, I moved back to the stoker position…AND…SUCCESS!
Unfortunately…
The trip came to an end early. For the longest time we thought the tire was wobbly. In fact Kel and I conversed back and forth for over an hour about what could be wrong with the bike. Why we didn't get off the bike and check it out at this point? I don't know. I guess we were just having too much fun. But then it got to the point where I thought the whole wheel was going to come off. I had these visions of us flying off the bike and face planting it, or something terrible like that. The whole time I was thinking "we should have taken the helmets, we should have taken the helmets." That's right. We weren't wearing helmets. Not smart. Anyway, we finally decided to stop and get off the bike. And what did we find? A completely flat tire. Upon returning the bike, they inspected it and said it was partly their fault because the spokes were out of whack??? Thank you Jon for rescuing us! We owe you big time!

Reasons one should go on a tandem bike ride:
- · Sick of being unnoticed? Forgotten? Do it…everyone will stare and even smile…especially if you put bright red gloves on
- · Are you sad?...you’ll laugh…non-stop…hysterically…I don’t know why but it happens every time
- · What one change could you make to revitalize your health, relationships, and sense of well being?...Believe it or not, the answer could be a tandem bicycle. It will open up a lifetime of fun, closeness and shared memories.
- · Are you too competitive? Tandeming is the answer - it's the one activity allowing optimal workouts for both of you. Instead of working out alone, holding back or competing head-to-head, you're a team with a common goal. And because tandeming is fun (some would even say romantic), it's quality time worth repeating.
- · Need a date idea? What better way to get to know someone than riding with them on a completely ridiculous and presumably extremely complicated face-to-face tandem bike? This bike is the result of a year's worth of hard work by a Taiwanese inventor. It does include some nice features like being able to rotate the seats so it can be ridden back-to-back when the first date goes awry.

- · …and there’s the notion that you should try everything once (you’ll get hooked believe me)
Oh my goodness . . . .you crack me up! It's even more funny because of those lovely websites and cause I was there with you. And yes, I may have been laughing too hard that I needed to find a bathroom :) Thanks for the excitement!
ReplyDelete