
A couple weeks ago we went to a cancer camp in Idaho near Sun Valley. BEAUTIFUL area. This is our second year attending the family cancer camp. Cancer patients and their families are invited to attend the camp. My younger sister Kaylee was diagnosed with cancer (Wilms tumor) when she was 3--she is now 13 and cancer free! My dad has never been able to attend because it is a busy time of year for him. So I go with my mom and little siblings. And Tanner joined us as well this year. We went canoeing and kayaking, geocaching, and mtn biking. We attended the famous family dance (we were Pitt and Jolie and family). Campfire and songs. Great food. Such a good time! And such a neat experience! A very sobering experience as well. I was particularly touched by a 15-yr old girl who was diagnosed with some type of brain cancer not too long ago. She was still going through chemo treatments and was very weak and sickly while at camp. One day during lunch she said something to the effect of "Mom everyone keeps staring at me." Her dad then said, "It's because you're beautiful." And she was like "Yeah right." I felt so bad for her. She had lost all of her hair and was very pale and skinny. Of course people were looking at her. And she had every right to feel down on herself. I was so impressed with her throughout the weekend. She was so sweet and would help the little kids around her. And she had such a good attitude through the puking, nausea and weakness she was experiencing. She has remained on my mind since then. I just kept thinking I have no reason to complain about my problems. Completely different but so small in comparison. I have so much reason to be grateful and happy. And I am! Can't wait for next year and hope I will see her again!

Canoeing...a bit chilly
three munchkins in the cabin
funky water trike
kayaking
Famous family dress up
Can you guess who?
I think they did a dang good job
minus the freakish looking dolls
No comments:
Post a Comment